Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ranunculus a flower with many vowels

I fell head over heals for this crazy flower last year when I visited Carlsbad, CA during the flower festival.  If you are ever in the area during the months of March and April you should make the trip to the flower fields. Just south of LA and just north of San Diego, snuggled along the shore line of the ocean. The sight is breathtaking, I would imagine it is much like wandering through Holland during the tulip festival (A trip to Holland is on my bucket list)


Ranunculus - Ra-Nun-culus - the Tecolote strain is pictured here in the Carlsbad flower fields.  Pictures do not do justice to these very delicate whispers of a flower.  The way the sunlight plays off their many colors is an amazing display of the beauty of nature.  Each part of the flower seems to have it's own vibrant color.

Unfortunately for gardeners such as I, we do not live in a climate that this gorgeous flower could survive outdoors.  They are predominately found in Zones 8-11 planted in the Fall and bloom in March.


 Much to my surprise I was wandering through a local shop that contained many indoor decorating items and I stumbled across a few bulbs in a box. I became super excited over the prospect of having a few of these blooming inside during the next few months, maybe, hopefully I could once again see this beautiful flower?

From my research I'm not certain this name is correct to the picture.  I'm very hopeful for what is pictured on the box and not a Persian Buttercup (much smaller not double petals).  None the less, I skipped to the checkout to pay for my new found prize anticipating what might be inside.  Remember the box of Cracker Jack, the lovely caramel popcorn and nut mixture in a box that always contained a prize!  That was one of my childhood favorites.  I'm hopeful that this little beauty will be my adult hood favorite.



As instructed (and per a few websites) I soaked the corms overnight in room temp water.  Within the hour they had begun to grow and plump up.  I was so excited it was hard to leave them soaking for so long.







By morning they were ready to plant.  I chose to use two pots instead of one for these corms.  One went into a pot slightly smaller than what was provided in the box and the other two went in together to a pot slightly larger than the one provided.  I did use the peat medium that was provided.  I take great delight in watching a very hard disc of compressed peat expand to life within minutes of being placed in a tub of warm water.

 It does make me wonder did the person who packaged these put much thought into the size of the pot?  Or was it a gamble, good price on a plastic pot, would fit into the box, and including 3 corms would ensure that one would grow?  Was all of this more of a packaging issue not necessarily a perfect growing condition scenario?

I did come across a great YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDPW8dKKTrU  This gentlemen is very entertaining and it seems my pot choice is "spot on".

Now I wait.  Oh the patience a gardener must endure.  While I'm waiting I will amuse my self watching the peppers and parsley grow.

If you find that you would like assistance in planning out your summer gardens, give me a shout, it's never to late to give your home some color.
One Broken Nail Garden and Landscaping is at your service. 
 Accepting clients for the 2014 growing season. 



No comments:

Post a Comment