Monday, March 3, 2014

February 27 2014 still below freezing

Here in the Midwest (specifically Indiana) we are still below freezing.  I was remembering fondly that by this time last year my gorgeous Mexican Heather had begun to bloom.
Picture from our prior front yard, just a few miles away.  It likes to be the first blooms of spring and carries on until the heat of summer hits hard.  Beautiful low compact evergreen plant.  I'm searching for more of these to plant at our new residence.  Or I will be sharing how to propagate this species later this year.  If you know where I can find this plant (I purchased these at Lowes in 2008) I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

You are probably wondering why I titled this blog "One Broken Nail".  I'm very fond of having beautiful fingernails and I've worn acrylic type nails  (keeps me from biting them) for so many years I've forgotten what it is like without them.  With all my gardening, landscape projects and the building of a new home I always seem to have one broken nail.  Thank goodness for having the best most tolerant manicurist who appreciates my garden stories and exploits.

My friends laugh at the way I use these "nails" as extensions to my gardening tools.  It is nothing for me to open a bag of dirt with the edge of a nail, or use it much like a spade into the dirt to plant a small bulb or tender young plant.  I say go ahead, pamper yourself a small bit even when you are an avid gardener. Take care of your skin as well as your nails (toes too) during the busy planting season.  I keep a heavy gardening balm in my "tool kit" so that I can soften my hands throughout the day.  Never hesitate to use natural oils when cleaning, this will also help soften your hands.  Happy Gardening!

1 comment: