Monday, March 17, 2014

My orchid is blooming!

My excitement can't be contained, my orchid is blooming!  I've been unsuccessful for years at keeping an orchid alive let alone getting to bloom.  In my prior 3 homes I became very good at killing a wide variety of orchids.  Yes, I followed all the instructions, videos, advice from all the orchid growing experts, friends and fellow master gardeners.  It took us moving and building a home with windows that allow just the right amount of natural light.  Or maybe it is the humidifier on the furnace?  Maybe I just became calm enough to finally grow these delicate plants?


Isn't she just lovely?

My first clue that I was doing something right was earlier this winter she began producing more leaves.  I was confused, this is the normal time that my other orchids would begin to shed leaves.  I knew she liked me and our home.












So many colors that blend seamlessly together in this very common household orchid.

Isn't it amazing how much pleasure one can gain from one $9 plant?








The bud just beginning to open, we wait for days in anticipation of the opening of this delicate flower.

Garfield Park Conservatory will be hosting the annual Orchid show in April.

Maybe I will find a friend to keep her company?

1 comment: